Some Suggestions and Answers
to Most-Asked Questions:
- What to Bring: Tennis shoes or river shoes for river-NO BARE FEET-plus other shoes for ride home. Dress in layers for warmth; swim suit, light jacket, sun glasses, hat, suntan lotion, bug spray, cooler, drinks and snacks, heavy twine and trash bags to keep things dry in canoe; a towel and change of clothes to be left in car.
- Bring your fishing pole and Virginia license. You will need to buy at WalMart in Luray or order on line with Virginia Game Commision.. We do have fishing supplies.
- We run river trips RAIN or SHINE. Since weather conditions may be different at your home than here, we decide if trips are to go. Safety is first.
- For our meal groups, we provide special menu items for vegetarians, etc. if notified by group leader one week in advance of trip.
- Dogs are welcome for canoeing, just realize they can turn your canoe over. Dogs cannot go in rafts or on tubes. (Please leash/poop scoop in campground and cabins.)
- The Outfitters rent coolers (reserve in advance)
- Do Not bring valuables on trip (jewelry, rings, money, etc.) Lock in car or better yet, leave at home.
- Do not take anything on the river that you would hate to lose.
- Weather: We are in the mountains and the weather can change quickly. There are several different Web links for the mountains of Virginia. We are between them! Charlottesville is one:and the northern Winchester area is another: Here are two to check: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wfront.htm and http://www.crh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/VAZ029.php?zo=1&city=
- Age limits: At the discretion of parents and Outfitters-subject to weather, river conditions and experience. Ask us ahead of time if there is a question.
- Alcohol is not permitted by the Outfitters. We reserve the right to inspect coolers and limit to 3 beers/person. The Commonwealth of Virginia has a 'no drinking in public' law and has passed lower blood alcohol content laws for driving and boating. Alcohol and water sports do NOT mix and NO Drugs anytime or any place.
- Our tent campground (Camp OutBack) has HOT showers. Camp OutBack is a Quiet Zone after 11 PM. Intoxication and loud noise will not be tolerated. The offender will be asked to leave without refund. Please ask about other primitive camping areas if you plan to party. Camping here is to be fun for all!
- Parking at the Outfitters: Upon arrival for your trip, stop in the 10 minute area, check in with staff, unload river gear at Outfitters Store. Follow road to Parking Lot 200 yards behind Store. Please only park in Lot. Other areas are National Forest or needed for canoe vehicles and trailers. Leave car keys at Outfitters--not in the River! (Locksmiths cost $$ and take hrs to get here.)
- Please leave all valuables at home! No need to loose those wedding rings in the river!
- Directions: Do follow our directions or, at least check against yours. MapQuest and GPS units are sending some folks 1 hour, 50 miles and 2 mountain ranges more than they need to go! A beautiful drive but maybe not what you want to do!